Tuesday, August 7, 2007

One more chance to do work

So I'm doing the Proposal scene with Venezuelan Girl for the final presentation on Thursday. That's the only scene I'm doing; others are doing more because for example Actor A might be featured in one scene but might get up again because they're supporting Actor B in another scene. I'd been dithering about it for a couple of days, but I finally asked Sam if I could bring in a monologue and work it tomorrow and then do it on Thursday. He said that was fine, so I'm going to do a piece from the short play The Bear, about a man trying to collect a debt from the widow of someone that owed him money. I've already got it mostly memorized and am going to nail it down once I finish writing this.

I'm not angry that other people are doing more than one scene, but I think it would be foolish to not take one more chance to get up and do some work in front of Sam and the class. To try to take what I've learned from working on my other scenes and put it into a monologue, and monologues have never been my strong suit.

Scary moment: Throaty-Voiced Girl was sitting on the highest riser in the studio where we usually work. There was a step unit next to the riser that in the dark appeared to be attached but wasn't. When she tried to get up and walk she fell....fortunately she was OK, although I think she might have a pretty good bruise by now. Even here at Stella Adler, theater safety requires a good deal of vigilance. Time to memorize, so I'll see you tomorrow.....

No comments: