Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Blow it out your...

Try lying on the floor and letting your belly be empty of air. We'll call this your "natural empty." Get rid of all your tension and stay engaged with the outside world - visualizing something on the ceiling helps. Now let the air flow into you, think of it traveling down your spine and into your extremities. If it helps, put one hand on your upper chest and one just below your waistline; this will tell you where the air is going. (You shouldn't feel it in your upper chest or shoulders)

Think of the sound "hah" living somewhere in your toes. Let it rise up and come out of you as a vocalization. The minute that "hah" loses intensity, volume, energy, whatever - stop. Don't let it fade out and DON'T let your breath run out and gasp for that last bit of air.

This what we worked on in "Voice, Speech, and Text" today, and I learned that while I'm blessed with a good deal of air to work with if I learn to control where the air comes and goes there's even more. (Good to know) Also, my tongue gets in the way of my throat being open. That's another way sound gets limited and I've got to work on keeping my tongue lower in my mouth - hard to do.....

No comments: