Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Not out of the fire yet....

So I was all prepared to do my monologue today, and Sam started picking people instead of taking volunteers. There's still that bit of edginess about getting up in front of the group for the first time. Yesterday I talked about Sam's unassuming style and how it impressed me. Today I felt a positive energy in the whole group. We had a guy get up (another one of the Adler vets) to do his piece. Since he wasn't here yesterday I'll call him Late Guy. It was a Konstantin piece from The Seagull, where's the would-be writer is talking about how he doesn't feel his mother appreciates him. The first go-round was dry and a bit busy, filled with business like the piece I wrote about yesterday. I don't even think he got all the way through it before Sam stopped him. (I could tell Late Guy had had a good bit of training, it was obvious)

First Sam put another class member in a chair to give Late Guy something to focus on. That helped a little. Then he talked about Konstantin's circumstances in the play (character, circumstance, and action are of course our trinity) and asked Late Guy if he had any regrets or doubts about his career. Another attempt. Better. Then Sam asked some personal questions of Late Guy and got some personal revelations which gave the actor something to use as a substitution for his piece. The last attempt was of course the best, and Sam deservedly commended Late Guy on his bravery. We've been applauding each other after our pieces; the environment feels very encouraging and positive. Even though I'd hoped to have my monologue over by now I'm not as nervous as I was a couple of days ago.

No comments: