Saturday, July 7, 2007

I'm here

The trip went pretty smoothly and I'm now settled into a CCNY dorm suite with three other guys, only one of whom I've met. I had a bad moment when I thought I might not be able to connect to the Internet with my antiquated equipment, but the purchase of a cable and the discovery of a port I didn't know existed on my computer set me straight.

I've said before that I think everyone in Manhattan looks like a great character actor, and when I was walking around yesterday I had the same impression. It's no wonder that Law & Order has been on so long, because the entire city looks like the supporting cast.

Just to set the scene - I'm on W. 135th St. As I say it's in a CCNY residence hall that abuts campus. The neighborhood is lots of apartment buildings, a couple of playgrounds, some basketball courts. There seem to be a great many families; there are kids all over the place as I walk the couple of blocks to the subway. Not a well-off neighborhood by any stretch, but I got the feeling of a strong community as I walked home last night. The trip to the Stella Adler Studio is one direct but long subway ride on the 1 train to 28th Street and then a short walk.

I'm still memorizing that monologue for Monday, it's coming. I'm going to carry it with me as I walk around today. Thank goodness for my fast memorization skills! More to come....

No comments: